DarkBlueHat

My thoughts on the Slifkin ban.

Monday, July 04, 2005

Looking for a few good hats

Gil recently released his views on Marc Shaipo's book on the Ikkarim. I wish I had seen it earlier because I had started working on a similar post (as I mentioned), but obviously not nearly as scholarly and comprehensive. While I have a few quibbles with his presentation, his basic point is one I have already argued and strongly agree with. Even if in general Hashkafah is not subject to a Psak Halakhah, Yesodei Hadas is one area which is subject to Psak Halakhah, as it has profound Halakhic implications. If the recognized Gedolei HaDor call a shitah meenus, that has serious consequences. Even if you don't pasken like them, the fact that much of Klal Yisroel does is sufficient to create serious Halakhic nightmares, as I've started to post about. Someone who is serious about the future of Torah Judaism, and not just YU, should focus on the what those Halakhic implications are.

For that reason I'm hoping to start a multi-person blog called Hilchos-Slifkin. It won’t allow any comments on whether the ban was correct or not, no personal attacks, no political analysis or even Hashkafic discussions. It will only discuss the Halakhic ramifications of the ban. There are Halakhic ramifications for those who follow the ban, Halakhic ramifications for those who think it is mistaken, and Halakhic ramifications for those who are unsure. Each of these should be discussed and debated in an objective manner. I think focusing on the Halakhic aspects would make people aware of the seriousness of the issue, and help create an environment which focuses on understanding what is at stake for everyone, and not just scoring points for a particular side. If anyone would like to join, contact the email address to the right. I suspect I'll have a lot more so-called white hats than black ones. I do hope that some pro-Ban people will help us discuss the Halakhic implications.

3 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anonymous bloggers join?

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Avi said...

What a difficult heading I picked. "Only the truth" Do you realize how difficult it is to dig out the truth from the mountain of lies that the truth is buried underneath. I read the comments on President George Bush. They call him a liar. So what? Bill Clinton was also a liar " I did not have sex with that woman" Does anybody tell the truth anymore. I know a rabbi ( no names mentioned) who does not know what the word truth is. Thats ok, there are plenty of preists who also dont know what truth means. One of the names of God is " Emes" which means truth. That is probably the ultimate truth. That there is a God . The world belongs to someone. The world has an owner.

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site video editing schools

 

Post a Comment

<< Home